Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Choose to Love


My husband and I joked around before we were married about him loving his Mac laptop more than me.  One  morning, I got up and pressed the power button on the Mac...nothing.  I did it again...nothing.  So now I have to tell him that the laptop has a problem and I probably caused it.  I honestly expected him to rush into the living room and try to fix it.  He didn't.  He just said ok and continued on with his day.  I worried about the computer this morning, but he was not.  His attitude was there are other things more important and I will deal with it later.   When we got home from church and Sunday dinner, he sat down, and fixed it.  He told me not to worry, it is a machine and can be replaced, but I am his wife, and could not be replaced.  Wow!  His words and his actions conveyed his love.

Love is all about serving another because you want to bring them joy.  Love is guarding the others feelings, and building them up at every chance we get.  Love is consoling another when they are hurting.  Love is more than saying I love you every morning when you wake up, it is showing it through our actions and our respect toward others.  Love is a stubborn decision that we make every day.  Each morning when I wake up, I must decide to love my husband, no matter what.  He must do the same thing.  I think too many times we get caught up in the whole idea that love is a feeling.  Yes, love can sometimes ooze out as a warm gooshy feeling.  However many times love is a decision that we make.  And we must be stubborn in our resolve to love others, even when we don't feel like it.

The Bible tells us that love is patient and kind, it doesn't brag, and isn't jealous.  Love is putting another before your own self interest.  Love doesn't keep track of how many times we have been wronged, but chooses to look upon the good in others.  I think that is why the Bible says that love covers a multitude of sins.  Love will never fail.

I don't think that I had a good picture of God's love until I got married almost 3 years ago. (Which tells you what a wonderful husband I have. )   When we were married, he cared  for me when I was sick.  He held me when I was scared.  He encouraged me when I was helpless.  He was a rock that I leaned on when I felt that I had no strength....And when I needed a  refuge from the cold, cruel world,  He was there.  He knew that I was not perfect, and he loved me warts and all.  I think that us a picture of what God does for us.

Today, love is a word that is overused.  We misuse it to convey feelings for inanimate objects, when its real purpose is to convey a stubborn resolve to put another before ourselves.  When we belittle the meaning and purpose of love, then it is only a matter of time before we begin to see people, friendships, and marriages as disposable.  We must be stubborn and resolve to love one another. 

No comments: