Saturday, March 19, 2011

In His Name


My husband is working on a mission's project with our church today.  The project is called "A home in His Name".  People who can not afford to fix their homes, and are unable to qualify for programs like Habitat for Humanity are led to our church for help--with no strings attached.  So far, our church has demolished two homes and rebuilt them for two families in our community.  People who have skills to work on the home, do--and the church hands over the keys to their brand new home a few weeks later.

Today they are prepping the lot to begin building a home for a third family.  I just think that it is amazing that through these projects, our church is providing something amazing for a family, with no costs and no strings attached.  I think things like this really show what the church is called to do...to make a difference in the lives around them--whether or not the family is a member of the church.


As Christians, we are called to serve outside the church.  We are called to make an impact on everyone around us.  It may not be building a house--because let's be honest, I am not gifted in building.  I have difficulty putting together a bookshelf from Wal-Mart.  There are things that I can do.  I can encourage others.  I can use the skills that I have to serve a family in need. 

Everything that we do as Christians, is done in Jesus' name...whether we like it or not.  After all, the name Christian means "little Christ".  When I think of that, I really wonder if the way I act, am I making Christ little or big in my community?

I really want Jesus to be BIG in my life.  I want to be able to do something great for Him.  I want to do it so that He gets the glory--and He is made big in the lives of others...because I was willing to step out and do something in His name and for His glory.

I really would like to be a part of this building project....and who knows, maybe they will need some painting done in the next few weeks.

No comments: