Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Life Outside the Comfort Zone

I like to play it safe.  I like the predictable, the normal
and the routine.  I like to plan things, and usually have plan A, plan B and plan C before committing to  doing anything.  Planning is safe, and keeps me comfortable and gives me a sense of control.
I like the comfort zone, and if it were up to me, I would probably live my whole life there if God had not shaken me from my normal status quo a few years back.  During this period of shaking, I was rattled to the core.  I was challenged to rethink my desires, my priorities, and the way I did almost everything. I was challenged to see God in a totally different way.  I was forced to rely on His strength and power, and for someone who likes to be in control and be self-sufficient,  it was the most challenging thing I have ever gone through (well...in many ways, I am still going through it).

Sometimes we get a little too settled in our comfort zone.  We get complacent.  We get lazy.  We get apathetic, and we even get blinded to the things that we see and do everyday.  When we are shaken, we begin to see things a bit differently.  We begin to notice the things that have been long overlooked...and we see there are things to be done to make the world around us a better place.

God never called us to be comfortable, but he did call us to go out into the world.  He calls us to step out of our comfort zones in faith and to do His work to bring Him glory.  We are called to step out...even if it means that we are stepping out alone.

When we step out of the comfort zone, it stretches our faith.  It makes us acknowledge that we are no longer in control--and it allows God to freely use us to accomplish His work in the lives around us.  When we step out, we see our gifts grow, we see our faith stretched, and we see how faithful God is to equip us for the task at hand--no matter how inadequate we may feel.

Once you experience life outside the comfort zone, you begin to see God work in your life, and  in the lives of  those around you.  When you partner up with Him and see him work and experience His power--you can never be satisfied with the status quo and returning to the comfort zone.  You will desire to look for ways to be used, ways to grow, and you will come to expect a life lived in the abundance and power that only God can give.

Life outside the comfort zone is not necessarily easy, but when you are in the center of God's perfect will, you will be in the safest place that you could possibly be.  Will you commit to do what God is calling you to do, even if it means leaving behind the familiar comfort zone that you have grown so accustomed to?  I hope so, because God has so much in store for you to see, to experience, to feel.  He wants to see you grow in ways you never imagined.   He has a special plan in store for you...and all you have to do is commit to take that first step towards Him.  Are you ready?  He is waiting on you...holding out His hand to help you all along the way!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Love this, Jenn! Goes along with our sermon Sunday about God's call to Abram.