Friday, June 10, 2011

New Growth--A Little List of Things I have Learned


Plant being protected by mans hands new growth

I love the spring and summer, because it is a time of growth and renewal.  Life seems to awaken from the cold, dreary winter...and to me, that brings a certain excitement and anticipation into the air.  The past few years have been a time of sudden changes.  We have experienced job loss, finding a new church home, new careers, and we are learning to live in an economy that seems so uncertain.  Amid all of these changes, new growth has occured in the life of my family.  In reality this has been a tough season filled with growth, God fulfilling his promises, and even a little adventure.  Here are some of the things God has shown me through our journey through this season.

  • No matter how I cry out to God, he is faithful to hear me when I call.  The past couple of years have  been filled with uncertainty amid career changes, job loss, and a tough economy for  our family.  I have cried out to God in desperation, in anger, and in pure amazement at how he has provided.  No matter how I cry out to God, He is faithful to hear me when I call.  He understands.  He comforts.  He provides.  Sometimes I wish that I could orchestrate how everything is going to work out....but fortunately, that is not God's way.

  • I think God is a God full  of suprises.  He loves surprising his children with unexpected blessings and gives unsupassable peace and joy, if we will just rest in his loving hands and trust him completely.  Over the years, I am learning that God is more concerned with my relationship with him than his expectations of me.  Don't get me wrong, I think it pains God when we stumble and fall...just like it is difficult for a parent to watch their child stumble.  However, as our creator, He knows who and what we are...imperfect, and is just looking for ways to take those mistakes, missteps, and sins into something that will bring him honor and glory.

  • God is good all the time.  Even when we are in the middle of the storm, God is there providing guidance, love and support to His children.  In the middle of all of the stuff that life seemed to throw at us, it was so funny that God provided the right scripture, the right person to come across my path, or just seemed to provide exactly what I needed at the very moment that I needed it.  God is so amazing and so good to his children.

  • It is good for women to get together and share about their life and faith.  This past winter, I had the priveledge of hosting a Ladies Bible Study in my house.  I do not know if any of the ladies who attended got anything out of it, but I know I did.  The fellowship and experiencing the wisdom the other ladies brought to the table was just so uplifting.  A year ago, I would have never imagined that I would have ever committed to such an undertaking...but now, I can not wait to start up a new study this fall!

  • Finally, do something that you never imagined that you would ever do....and do it for God! You will never know just how fun and exciting this will be until you just do it.  Whether it is starting a Bible Study, making a quilt for someone who is sick, or running in a marathon...try something new and give God the glory when you complete it.  You never know, you just might find a new gift that you were destined to share with the rest of the world...if you just give whatever it is a  try!
What have you done to get new growth in your life?  I would love to hear your stories about things you have learned and new adventures you are having as you discover what God is creating you to be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks