Saturday, August 6, 2011

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Christianity was never meant to be a lone struggle of self against the world.  Christianity in its rawest form is about relationships--with God, Jesus, your family and fellow believers.  So many times, I think we make Christianity a Do-it-Yourself kind of program, and it isn't.  When we make it that, we come up with a stale, legalistic religion that focuses on works, rather than Christ's love and grace.  It also becomes self-centered instead of mission minded to help others whenever possible.

I have a group of friends who constantly remind me of this truth.  Whenever we get together for our Bible Study, we are honest.  In that honesty, we bear each others burdens, struggles, and even encourage each other with a loving reality check every once in a while.  For me, that is good.  Through this, I learn that I am not alone, my struggles are not necessarily unique, and that they can be overcome--through the help of God and my amazing friends giving me good Biblical truth and encouragement.

If you are not connected in a good Bible Study with good Christian friends, then please consider committing some time to do so.  For me, it is some of the best time that I can invest in all week.  It keeps me accountable, encouraged, and focuses me on God and all he is doing in my life and the lives of my friends.  If you do not know where to go for a good Bible Study, then start your own--that is what I did, and it has been a huge blessing for me and my Christian walk.

No comments: