Sunday, September 18, 2011

Permissible vs. Helpful

blood draw
In the last week or so, I got some blood work back.  As I approach 40, I see numbers climbing in a direction that they do not need to go.  The numbers tell the story of a woman who does most of her life on the fly--and trying to go with the flow.  The results of this are fast food suppers, late night meals, and just plain overeating junk food.


During this time, I have found a little verse that sums up how I need to correct this situation. "Everything is permissible  for me but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible for me, but I will not be brought under the control of anything." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:12 HCSB

Although as a Christian, I am allowed to do all things--because their is no condemnation in the food I eat or drink I consume, not everything is benificial to our lives.  Getting involved in certain things or overindulging in things can prove to have harmful consequences.  Just like my love and overindulgence in junk foods and all things sweet has a negative effect on my blood work, health, and waistline--sin or overindulgence in worldly pleasures can do the exact same thing.  Once we overindulge and ignore what we should be doing, we are left to face the consequences of those actions.

In an attempt to derail the track I am on, I have decided to watch what I am eating, journal my food, blood pressure, weight, and blood sugar.  This is my way of being accountable, and reminding myself of the fate that awaits me--if I do not change my habits.

Your bad habit might not be junk foods, and sweets like me, but most of us have some kind of habit holding us back from the joy and freedom God has planned for our lives.  Look at your life and be honest about what you see.  What do you think God is calling you to change?  Make out a plan of how you will be accountable for changing it.  Find a verse or quote to motivate you.  Pray about it, and set out to change your pattern of behavior.  When it changes, give the credit and glory to God!

No comments: